In order to be approved for CPT, a student needs to be enrolled in an eligible course.  Please note that Georgetown does not allow students to participate in paid internships as part of an externship, practicum, or clinic course.

Curricular Practical Training is authorized by 8 CFR §214.2(f):

An F-1 student may be authorized by the DSO to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. Students who have received one year or more of full time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion academic training. Exceptions to the one academic year requirement are provided for students enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training. A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to the DSO. A student may begin curricular practical training only after receiving his or her Form I-20 with the DSO endorsement [signature].

Georgetown’s CPT Policy

Georgetown requires that F-1 students apply for CPT when enrolling in any course that requires an off-campus internship component, even if the work component is unpaid.  For example, if a student participates in an externship course with a placement at the U.S. Tax Court, the student will need to be authorized for CPT.

Courses Eligible for CPT

  • J.D. Externship Seminars
  • LL.M. Externship Seminar
  • Practicum courses (fieldwork-based only; project based practicum classes do not require CPT)
  • Transnational Law Practice Field Study (JD)

These courses count toward the total number of credits required for graduation, and they are listed in the Curriculum Guide.  The externship or practicum placement is required for course enrollment.

Applying for CPT

You are eligible to apply for CPT if you are enrolled in an externship course, fieldwork based practicum course, or the J.D. summer course Transnational Law Practice Field Study.  CPT can be authorized for 2Ls, 3Ls, and LL.M. students in a practice-oriented degree track.  (See the Student Handbook for information about practice-oriented LL.M. degree tracks.)

After enrolling in the course, you will need complete the CPT Request Form.  Once the form is completed, turn in the following to your international student advisor:

  • CPT Request Form
  • I-94 record
  • Additional Documentation:
    • For LL.M. Externships: Completed Externship Supervision Agreement
    • For J.D. Externships: Completed 304(d) Agreement
    • For Practicum Students: Copy of your unofficial transcript from MyAccess.  (For courses requiring manual enrollment, you may submit your approval to be enrolled in the course if you have not yet been enrolled by the Registrar’s office.)

Materials may be emailed to your international student advisor or they may be dropped off at the front desk of Graduate Programs (Hotung 5000).

Do not begin to intern until your new I-20 with CPT authorization has been issued.  You will receive a new I-20 with CPT authorization about 3 business days after submitting your application materials.  If you drop or withdraw from a class after being approved for CPT for the class, please notify your international student advisor so that your CPT authorization can be ended.