Students borrowing federal Stafford and/or Graduate PLUS loans must complete the following federally required steps before any such loans can disburse.
Incoming Students – Complete AFTER June 1st and BEFORE July 15th.
Continuing Students – Complete AFTER March 15th.
All federal loan requirements should be completed at studentaid.gov.
Before you continue: If you have placed a security freeze on your credit file, you must lift or remove the freeze at each credit bureau before you continue. Your credit application will remain pending if you have a security freeze.
When completing the steps below, select Georgetown University as the school attended.
- Graduate Entrance Counseling
- required only for first-time Georgetown Law borrowers.
- Subsidized/Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note
- required only for the first year of Stafford borrowing at Georgetown Law.
- Graduate students are only eligible for the Unsubsidized Stafford loan.
- Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note
- required only for the first year of Grad PLUS borrowing at Georgetown Law.
- Graduate PLUS Application
- required every year of Grad PLUS borrowing
- Select Georgetown University as your school choice on the application
- students are encouraged to apply for “maximum” as the loan amount when completing the federal Graduate PLUS application. Accepting the “maximum” generates one credit check and allows for flexibility in what the student will request to be disbursed into their Student Account on their behalf. Requesting the specific dollar amount caps the amount that is disbursed into their student account. The same can be said if the student has an endorser. Applying for a grater amount than needed, allows for flexibility if additional funds are requested. Requests made directly to Georgetown Law utilizing either the Blue Loan Certification Form for incoming JD students or the Green Application for continuing and all graduate level students.
- Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement (coming soon from the Department of Education, currently not required)
- will be required every year of federal loan borrowing.
Graduate PLUS borrowers who have adverse credit or were denied a GradPlus and who are approved with a co-signor/endorser or after an appeal of a credit denial have additional requirements, please check your next steps via email notification from the Department of Education.
Private/commercial loan requirements vary by your chosen lender. Borrowers choosing private/commercial loans should consult with their lenders and complete all applicable requirements.