Summer Resident Advisors
Application for Summer Resident Advisors will be available in mid to late January.
Your 2024 Summer Resident Advisors will be announced in spring 2024. Look for more information then!
2024 Summer Resident Advisor Job Description
Summer Resident Advisors assist the participants living in the Gewirz Student Center in many ways. Specific duties are described below.
- Serve as first responder to most emergencies in the Gewirz Student Center.
- Carry cell phone, make rounds, and assist when necessary while on duty.
- Act as a floor marshal for the Gewirz Student Center.
- Work the front desk one evening a week from 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Resource and Referral
- Provide information or referral on a variety of issues.
- Mediate resident conflicts and assist in apartment changes, when necessary.
- Help residents adjust to living in an urban setting.
- Be approachable and available.
- Hold floor meetings at the beginning of the summer and with any conference group arrival.
- Conduct programs during the first week after move-in, focusing on adjustment to the summer living environment.
- Conduct programs that support a positive academic and social environment.
- Promote an atmosphere of mutual respect among the residents and concern for the physical environment.
- Confront inappropriate behavior when necessary.
- Coordinate floor activities to promote community development.
- Serve as a role model for residents.
- Monitor and report the physical condition of the residence hall.
- Assist the spring closing (May 18), summer opening (June 1-2) and closing (August 3) of the residence hall. ***dates subject to change
- Complete apartment inventories and rotating weekend desk hours, as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation and set up for summer conference groups.
- Intervene and/or assist security or medical personnel in case of emergencies.
- Take on-call week night and weekend duty on a rotating schedule.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attend weekly individual meetings with the Coordinator of Residence Life or the Director of Residence Life & Student Housing.
- Support the mission of the Office of Residence Life.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in staff training between May 18 and May 31 (evenings when possible).
- A private room in a two bedroom apartment (shared with another summer staff member) in the Gewirz Student Center; utilities included.