Child and Youth Advocacy/Juvenile Justice
Children’s rights and juvenile justice lawyers provide legal defense and protection of children by addressing their social welfare, health, education and special needs. Specific areas of children’s rights practice include child abuse and neglect, child trafficking and labor exploitation and foster care and adoption. The practice of juvenile justice law is interdisciplinary incorporating criminal law, constitutional law, administrative law, education law, mental health law, disability law, immigration law, conditions of confinement, and public benefits law. Children’s rights lawyers work in a range of practice areas, including direct representation via Legal Aid/Legal Services offices, non-profit organizations that advocate on behalf of children through impact litigation and legislative initiatives, government, including local, state, and federal agencies and the courts and private, public interest law firms.
- ABA Center on Children and the Law includes information on a range of advocacy and reform issues, as well as research, training and technical assistance for children's rights practitioners.
- ABA Section of Litigation; Children's Rights Litigation includes resources, latest news and announcements and a comprehensive directory of Children's Law Programs.
- Harvard Specialty Guide: Children's Rights Law, A Career Guide includes extensive information on children's rights practice settings, along with personal narratives and representative employers.
- HG.org: Children's Rights and Juvenile Law provide a basic overview of the practice area as well as useful links to educational resources and selected employers.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway is a service of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families that provides information, resources and tools covering topics on child welfare, child abuse and neglect, out of home care, adoption, and more.
- Center for Children's Law and Policy
- DC Children's Law Center
- First Star
- Human Rights Project for Girls
- Kids in Need of Defense
- National Juvenile Defender Center
- National Center for Youth Law
- Partnership for Children's Rights
- U.S. Department of Justice, Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section
- Voices for America's Children
- Children's Law Group
- American Bar Association Directory of Children's Law Programs
- Children's Rights Resources is a great list of child welfare policy, research and advocacy organizations.
- Georgetown Youth Advocacy Internship Guide (compiled by the Georgetown Youth Advocacy Group in 2013)
- National Center for Youth Law Links and Referrals