A housing adjustment can be requested for up to the nine (9) months of the academic school year.
The standard student housing budget is $1,630 per month. The requested housing adjustment amount may not exceed 150% of the budgeted amount for the lease beginning and end dates.
- Students who live within eight (8) blocks of Georgetown Law must offset higher rental costs by their local transportation allowances ($2,376) as it will be deducted from the rental increase.
- If utilities are included within a student’s lease agreement, the budgeted utilities allowance ($1,890) will be deducted from the rental increase.
- If a student lives with roommates/housemates and housing contributions are not split equally or a guarantor is listed on the lease as a co-signer, please explain this in detail in the additional information section of the form. Specify the circumstances surrounding your living arrangements and attach copies of your two most recent rent receipts or other proof of payment. Otherwise, it will be assumed that housing costs are shared equally by those listed as occupants on the lease agreement.
- Rental charges such as pet rent, parking, storage, amenities or security deposits are NOT eligible for an adjustment.
- Rental property: Requests must be accompanied by the full and current copy of the requester’s lease agreement (attachments such as pet or lead addenda are not needed) signed by ALL parties (lessor and lessee).
- If the student resides with other occupants, two copies of the most recent rental payments must also accompany the request.
- Guarantors MUST be listed on the rental agreement as a guarantor. Persons listed as occupants will be treated as such.
- Personal Home: Requests must be accompanied by a copy of the student’s most recent mortgage statement.
*Notes regarding increases to your Federal loans:
The Department of Education assesses fees to originate (create) ALL federal loans. The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan has a current origination fee of 1.059% and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS (GradPLUS) Loan has a current origination fee of 4.236%. The amount that is originated on your behalf will be processed to include these fees. The amount that you will see on your financial aid award in MyAccess will be higher by the amount of these fees. The amount that will post to your student account and is refunded to you, will be lower by the amount of these origination fees or the direct amount that you specify below.