A housing adjustment can be requested for up to the nine (9) months of the academic school year.
The standard student housing budget is $1,650 per month for on campus students and $1,000 for online students. The requested housing adjustment amount may not exceed 150% of the budgeted amount for the lease beginning and end dates.
- Students who live within eight (8) blocks of Georgetown Law must offset higher rental costs by their local transportation allowance (see budget) as it will be deducted from your housing increase.
- If utilities are included within a student’s lease agreement, the budgeted utilities allowance (see budget) will be deducted from your rental increase.
- If a student lives with a partner or roommates and housing contributions are not split equally or a guarantor is listed on the lease as a co-signer, please explain this in detail in the additional information section of the form. Specify the circumstances surrounding your living arrangements and attach copies of the two most recent rent receipts of ALL adult occupants (or other proof of payment). Otherwise, it will be assumed that housing costs are shared equally by those listed as occupants on the lease agreement as they too are financially responsible for payment.
- Housing charges such as pet rent, parking, storage, amenities, HOA fees or security deposits are NOT eligible for an adjustment.
- Rental property: Requests must be accompanied by the full and current copy of the requester’s lease agreement (attachments such as pet or lead addenda are not needed) signed and dated by ALL parties (lessor and lessee).
- If the student resides with other adult occupants, two copies of the most recent rental payments for all must also accompany the request.
- Guarantors MUST be listed on the rental agreement as a guarantor. Persons listed as occupants will be treated as such.
- Personal Home: Requests must be accompanied by a copy of the student’s two most recent mortgage statements.
- If the student resides with other adult occupants, they too must be listed on the mortgage statement.
*Notes regarding increases to your Federal loans:
The Department of Education assesses fees to originate (create) ALL federal loans. The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan has a current origination fee of 1.057% and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS (GradPLUS) Loan has a current origination fee of 4.228%. The amount that is originated on your behalf will be processed to include these fees. The amount that you will see on your financial aid award in MyAccess will be higher by the amount of these fees. The amount that will post to your student account and is refunded to you, will be lower by the amount of these origination fees or the direct amount that you specify below.