Human Rights Law
What is International Human Rights Law?
International human rights law focuses on enforcing the body of international law designed to promote and protect human rights at the international, regional and domestic levels. Human rights law regulates the relationship between states and individuals in the context of ordinary life. International human rights lawyers provide expertise and support in strategic human rights litigation, and collaborative litigation with local partners. They also disseminate information that enhances the use of human rights law. Human rights lawyers may work in non-governmental organizations, inter-governmental organizations such as the United Nations and federal government agencies.
Human Rights Law Resources
- PSJD Resources includes links to several NALP resources on International Public Interest Careers and excellent school guides.
- American Society for International Law Career Page (ASIL) promotes the development of opportunities in international law for individuals at every stage of their career. The Career Development Page includes resources, professional development programming, research and job links. See also the ASIL Electronic Information System for International Law for additional career resources.
- Georgetown Law Human Rights Career Guide (under Practice Area Specific Guides) provides an overview of the human rights field, shares Georgetown Law resources, tips for building a successful career, and information about the work being done in a wide variety of sectors and settings.
- HG.org: Human Rights provides a basic overview of the practice area as well as useful links to educational resources and selected employers.
- Idealist Career Center: Human Rights provides basic information about human rights legal and non-legal opportunities. See also the Jobs and Internships tabs on the top menu bar.
- U.S. Department of State Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor for international human rights related information from the United States Government.
- United Nations Human Rights spearheads the United Nations’ human rights efforts offering leadership training, education and support to empower individuals and assist States in upholding human rights.