Aviation Law Research Guide
This guide is intended to facilitate research on aviation law in both primary and secondary materials.
This guide includes both primary and secondary materials, in print and electronic formats.
For a quick overview of the aviation law, consult these introductory texts.
- Aviation Law: An Introduction KF2400.R64 2000
This is the fifth edition of this introductory treatise focusing on the law and legislation of aeronautics.
- An Illustrated Dictionary of Aviation
This publication provides definitions thousands of terms in the field of aviation. A simple search allows you to access the definition, as well as other references to the word throughout the dictionary.
An Introduction to Air Law K4095.4.D5413 2006
The international component of air travel is detailed in this up to date treatise, which focuses on the liability of the carrier, insurance and sovereignty of air space, as well as numerous other relevant topics.
Primary Law Sources
A. Case Law
- Specialized Reporters:
Aviation Law: Cases, Laws and Related Sources KF2400.L37 2006
Aviation Law Reporter (1961-2008 now cancelled, only updated electronically) KF2400.A6C6
- Lexis, consult Legal > Area of Law - By Topic > Transportation for case law
- Westlaw, consult All Databases > Topical Materials by Area of Practice > Transportation > Federal Cases (FTRAN-CS database)
Aviation Law is a highly regulated area of law. Title 14 of the CFR provides access to the regulations for aeronautics and space. Additionally, Special Federal Aviation Regulations (SFAR) are published also. Here are links to the applicable regulations for aviation law:
- Current Regulations via E-CFR
- Current & Historical SFAR
- FAA Rulemaking (Proposed and Final Rules published in the Federal Register)
- Lee J. Kreindler, Aviation Accident Law (1993-2008, KF1290.A9K74 ) only updated electronically
- Robert M. Jarvis et.al., Aviation Law: Cases and Materials (2006) KF2400.A7J36
- Paul S. Dempsey et.al., Aviation Law and Regulation KF2439.D45 1992 (2 volume, loose-leaf).
In addition to the treatises listed above, you can locate additional material on Aviation Law, consult our library catalog and enter a Subject search for one of the following subjects:
- Aeronautics -- Law and legislation -- United States
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- United States
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- Law and legislation
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- Law and legislation -- United States
You may also conduct a keyword search of the catalog. For a short demonstration of how to conduct a keyword search, click here.
B. Academic Journals
The following journals are accessible via the library's electronic resources:
- Air & Space Power Journal
- Air Traffic Management
- Aviation History
- Aviation Week and Space Technology
- Journal of Air Law
C. News & Current Awareness
- Aviation and Airport Development Law Blog (published by Chevalier, Allen & Lichman, LLP)
- Aviation Law Prof Blog (edited by DePaul University College of Law International Aviation Law Institute directors)
- Justia Aviation Law Blog Posts (compilation of blog posts)
- Westlaw Journal Aviation - Provides weekly updates of lawsuits, regulations and other developments in aviation law.
- Federal Aviation Administration - The FAA is the regulatory arm of the U.S. Department of Transportation responsible for airports, air traffic organization, aviation policy, planning and environment,
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) - This independent agency of the federal government investigates every civil aviation accident in the United States.
- House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. Also has oversight for the Sub-Committee on Aviation.
- U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation - Sub-Committee on Aviation Operations, Safety & Security
- U.S. Department of Transportation (Aviation Information for Citizens)
Associations and Organizations
American Bar Association:
- The association is "dedicated to aviation safety, the just administration of the law and continuing legal education".
- Headquartered in Montreal, Canada, the ICAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations, which "works to achieve its vision of safe, secure and sustainable development of civil aviation through cooperation among its member states".
- An institute at Wichita State University dedicated to providing research, technology transfer and education for the purpose of advancing the aviation industries.
- Consortium of university members offering aviation specializations, focusing on applied aviation related research, education and technology transfer.
- The Center is a non-profit affiliate of the National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO) and it "seeks to improve the states' role in the future of the national air transportation system".
- FTRAN-DOT Federal Transportation - Department of Transportation Decisions database - Directory >Topical Practice Areas > Homeland Security > Transportation > FTRAN-DOT . This database contains documents issued by the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) and the Department of Transportation (DOT). The coverage period for CAB documents is 1979-1984 and DOT coverage starts at 1985.
- FTRAN-CCI Federal Transportation Chief Counsel Interpretations - Directory>Topical Practice Areas > Homeland Security > Transportation > FTRAN-CCI. Coverage begins January 1975. This database contains Chief Counsel Interpretations issued by the Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration.
- FAA Federal Aviation Administration Decisions - Legal > Area of Law By Topic > Transportation > Investigate Business, Property & Business > Federal Aviation Administration Decisions. Coverage 1987 through current. Contains penalty decisions and orders issued by the Administrator of the FAA.
© Georgetown University Law Library. These guides may be used for educational purposes, as long as proper credit is given. These guides may not be sold. Requests to republish or adapt a guide should be directed to the Head of Reference. Proper credit includes the statement: Written by, or adapted from, Georgetown Law Library (current as of .....).