Lexis, Westlaw & Bloomberg Law Tutorials
Lexis, Westlaw & Bloomberg Law offer a number of online tutorials to guide users on everything from basic search strategies to subject searching to updating the law. A few of the basic tutorials are listed below. Follow these links to access the complete list of tutorial offerings by each vendor.
To access all of the Lexis Tutorials, you will have to enter your Lexis password.
Examples of Lexis Tutorials
- Lexis By Topic or Headnote
- Shepard's Citation Services
- Case Law Summaries & Lexis/Nexis Headnotes
- Navigating Documents
- Research History
- Searching Multiple Sources
- Get a Document
Lexis publishes some additional training tools, which can be accessed online. Some of these publications look at completing your research in 3 easy steps, shepardizing on Lexis and finding a unique topic.
To access all of the Westlaw Tutorials, you will have to register with your Westlaw password and e-mail address.
Sample Lessons on Westlaw
- What's New on Westlaw
- Getting Started on Westlaw
- Finding Documents by Title or Citation
- Find and Print
- Searching with Terms and Connectors
- Searching with Natural Language
- Searching with KeySearch
In addition, Westlaw makes all of their User Guides available online as well. These guides provide detailed instructions on General Research Topics, as well as Advanced Legal Research, TWEN and specific Practice Areas.
Once you've signed on to Bloomberg Law, you can access their tutorial videos in the Bloomberg Law Help Center.
Once in the Help Center, navigate to Videos using the left hand column. The most useful videos for beginning users can be found in the Getting Started Videos, Court Opinions and Legislative tabs.
Sample Lessons on Bloomberg Law
- What can I search on Bloomberg Law?
- How Do I Select Sources?
- How Can I Retrieve an Opinion with Citation or Name?
- How Do I Search the U.S. Code?