Jill A. Smith
Instructional Technology Librarian
Williams Room 231A
Jill Smith is the Instructional Technology Librarian. Prior to starting at Georgetown, Jill was Research and Instructional Technology Librarian at The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, where she also taught Introduction to Legal Research and Advanced Legal Research. Prior to beginning her library career, Jill spent two years as a legal index editor at BNA and 12 years working in executive relationship management with the NASDAQ Stock Market and in corporate communications for NASDAQ-listed companies.
Jill is a frequent speaker on a variety of topics including: using Camtasia to create independent learning modules and flipped classroom materials, the application of transliteracy to modern legal curricula, and technological enhancements to collaborative projects.
Jill is a graduate of the University of Maine School of Law and the University of Maryland's iSchool. She is a member of the CALI board of directors and a member of the Reviews Committee for Library Quarterly. In the 2011-12 editorial year, she was editor of the Law Librarians' Society of Washington, D.C. publication Law Library Lights, which won AALL's "Best Newsletter" award in 2013 for issue 55.3. She is a member of the New Hampshire State Bar.
Publication List (2000–Present)
Contributions to Law Reviews and Other Scholarly Journals
- Jill A. Smith, 87 Libr. Q. 75-76 (2017) (reviewing Getting the Word Out: Academic Libraries as Scholarly Publishers (Maria Bonn & Mike Furlough eds. (2015)).
- Jill A. Smith, 84 Libr. Q. 248-250 (2014) (reviewing James S. Heller, Paul Hellyer & Benjamin J. Keele, The Librarian's Copyright Companion (2d ed. 2012)).
- Jill A. Smith, 84 Libr. Q. 250-252 (2014) (reviewing Web Search Engine Research (Dirk Lewandowski ed., 2012)).
- Jill A. Smith, 84 Libr. Q. 512-514 (2014) (reviewing Law Librarianship in the Digital Age (Ellyssa Kroski ed., 2014)).
- Jill A. Smith, 83 Libr. Q. 81-83 (2013) (reviewing John N. Gathegi, The Digital Librarian’s Legal Handbook (2012)).
Selected Contributions to Other Publications
- Jill A. Smith, Diana Roberto Donahoe & Matthew L. Zimmerman, Georgetown Law Library Tackles E-Publishing and Provides Affordable Online LRW Textbook to Students, Law Libr. Lights, Winter 2016, at 25-27.
- Jill A. Smith, Technology and Tradition: Managing Technology Requests Using Basic Library Science Techniques, AALL Spectrum, June 2012, at 11-12. [HEIN] [WWW]
- Jill A. Smith, Universal Truths I Learned on the Mat: What Being a Yoga Instructor Taught Me About Teaching, Law Libr. Lights, Winter 2010, at 24-25. [HEIN] [WWW]