Georgetown Law will open at 11:00 am on Tuesday, December 10, 2013, with liberal leave in effect. The Law Library will open at its regular hour. All in-class exams scheduled to begin at 9:00 am will begin at 1:30 pm.
PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR AN UPDATE AT 9:00 AM, Tuesday, December 10th, for any changes to the Law Center's operating status resulting from changes in the weather.
All designated emergency employees must report to work on time. All other employees are expected to report to work by 11:00 am. Employees may take unscheduled leave, but should contact their supervisor to discuss the needs of their unit and individual circumstances.
Special events and programs scheduled to start before 11:00 am will be delayed and may be cancelled. Please check with your program planner to determine status.
2012 Law Library Student Survey - Comments
Based on student input from our annual survey and other feedback we've received, we updated several things this summer. Following are some highlights.
Brand New Website
We launched a new library website, coinciding with the Law Center's site redesign. On our new site, we've tried to simplify content, and almost every page has been revised. To plan the site, we read all web-related comments from the past few surveys, trying to retain useful features. We also ran three separate rounds of usability tests, where we observed current and recently-graduated law students interacting with the site as we built it.
New Touch Screen Kiosks
As we've heard may times, finding books in the library isn't easy. For many people, our floor plans can be challenging. To address these difficulties, we updated our four touch screen kiosk systems with maps you can touch. If you're lost in the library, try one of the touch screen kiosks to find books, bathrooms, scanners or study rooms. The same great maps work online too.
After Hours Book Return
We added an after-hours book return just outside the entrance of each library location. Now you can return books when the library is closed. Remember to only return books here. Continue to return media, power cables, and reserve materials to the circulation desk when it is open.
Water Fountain in the Wolff Library
Back in June, we added a water fountain in the Wolff library. It's an Elkay EZH20 brand fountain and water bottle filling station. It's located on the south wall of the main floor of the Wolff Library, next to the copier and the GoCard (VTS) machine. We've got you covered if you get thirsty.
Updated Room Reservation System
We updated group study room reservation system, in an effort to streamline the room request process. The new platform now includes a two-person study room, expanding the number of study spaces students can book and share.
Treatise Finder Pages
On our site, we continue to provide Treatise Finder pages that list the top treatise titles, in print and electronic format, accessible to our community. These pages have been significantly revised, with better images, a consistent layout and updated links to Lexis, Westlaw and other services.
We are not going to publish a 'user's guide' to the new website. Instead, here are some tips:
- Library Hours are listed at the bottom of every library page.
- Chat With a Librarian (formerly LiveHelp): To chat with a reference librarian, use the new green chat button at the top of any library page.
- Student Resources: Start here for access to the most frequently-used student tools, services and resources.
- New Student Resources: A useful starting point for all students new to Georgetown Law, including 1L, LL.M., transfer and visiting students.
- Research: Start here for direct access to many research resources, including our revised Bluebook Guide and Citation Tools.
Great Suggestions for Things Already Done
From year to year, we get suggestions for things we've already implemented. When this happens, we realize we can probably promote them a bit better. Following are suggestions from the last two years for things we have already done.
- Add a soda machine in Williams: There's one in the Canteen (1st floor), as well as near the GoCard Machine (3rd floor).
- Provide ear plugs: These are available at the reference desk in either library location.
- Hot water for coffee/tea/soup: Back in 2011, we added a hot water spigot in the Canteen.
- Casual, no-reservation study space: Last year, we converted room 320 in the Williams Library for group work requiring no reservations.
- A small, two-person study room was created in EBW 525 in 2011 in response to previous survey suggestions.
- Circulating DVD collection: Many movies are available in the Williams Library near the popular reading section off the Oakley Reading Room.
- Open before 8 o'clock: The Williams library regularly opens before 8:00. All library hours are posted here.
- Provide phone and laptop chargers: We provide chargers in both library locations, and we purchased additional devices this summer.