Only students who plan to bring a spouse and/or children with them to the United States in F-2 or J-2 dependent status need to submit documentation. To request a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 for your dependent to apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa, please upload the following materials into the Dependent Document section of the International Student Portal if a new student or email to if a current student:

  • Dependent Request Form
  • Passport Biographic Page for each dependent
  • Legal dependent documentation for each dependent ONLY if your dependent is exempt from obtaining an F-2 or J-2 visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate (ie: a spouse or child who is a citizen of Canada).
    • For a spouse, please upload your marriage certificate.
    • For a child, please upload a birth certificate, adoption papers, etc.

Students who bring dependents must present further proof of funds to support those dependents in addition to the student’s individual estimated expenses. Please review the Proof of Funding page for more details and up-to-date estimated expense figures.

F-2 and J-2 dependents have different requirements, restrictions, and benefits from the primary F-1 or J-1 visa holder. For more information, please visit the F-2 Dependent Status  or J-2 Dependent Status pages, or contact your International Student Advisor.