WTO Studies Certificate
Georgetown Law's Institute of International Economic Law (IIEL) offers Georgetown students the opportunity to obtain a certificate evidencing special competence in World Trade Organization (WTO) studies in addition to their respective degrees. Students will not be admitted solely for the WTO Studies Certificate program. (The certificate is not a diploma and it does not change the title of the degree students are pursuing at Georgetown Law.)
The WTO Studies Certificate is available to students earning a J.D. or LL.M. at the Law Center. Students earning an S.J.D. at the Law Center, and students earning graduate degrees in other related subjects at Georgetown University who are eligible to enroll in courses at the Law Center, may obtain the WTO Studies Certificate by permission of the Institute. Students must complete all of their degree requirements to receive a WTO certificate.
The requirements for the WTO Studies Certificate are:
• Successful completion of 12 credits of coursework on WTO-related subjects, selected from the list of WTO Certificate Courses (attached on the bottom of this web page).
• Approval by IIEL of a research paper on a WTO law subject that you have written or will write in one of your WTO Certificate Courses.
• Participation in four activities outside the Law Center related to international trade during the student's course of study (such as attending conferences, congressional, administrative or court hearings, or other similar events).
• Maintenance of an overall grade point average of "B" (3.0) or higher.
* Please note:
• Successful completion of a basic international law course, either at the Law Center or elsewhere, is a prerequisite for the WTO Studies Certificate; this qualifying course does not count toward the 12 credits required for the WTO Studies Certificate.
• Academic credit transferred from other institutions and/or graduate programs will not count toward the 12 credits required for the WTO Studies Certificate, without approval by the Deputy Director of IIEL.
Application to the WTO Studies Certificate Program
Students who wish to pursue the WTO Studies Certificate should complete and submit the WTO Certificate Notification Form (attached on the bottom of this web page) as soon as possible. For LL.M. candidates, application not later than the first day of classes in the first semester of a student's attendance at Georgetown Law is strongly encouraged. For J. D. candidates, application not later than the first day of classes in their second year for full-time students and third year for part-time students is strongly encouraged.
The completed WTO Certificate Notification Form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
After submitting their WTO Certificate Notification Form, students should request an academic counseling appointment with Professor C. Christopher Parlin, Deputy Director of IIEL by emailing email@example.com
Questions Regarding the WTO Certificate Program
Students interested in the WTO Certificate Program who have questions should email Professor Parlin at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) concerning the Certificate in WTO Studies, please read the attached document on the bottom of this web page.
To view the 2014-2015 WTO Certificate Courses, please click here.
To view the Frequently Asked Questions in regard to the Certificate in WTO Studies, please click here.
To view or fill out the WTO Certificate Notification Form, please click here.