WTO Studies Certificate
Georgetown Law's Institute of International Economic Law (IIEL) offers Georgetown students the opportunity to obtain a certificate evidencing special competence in World Trade Organization (WTO) studies in addition to their respective degrees. Students will not be admitted solely for the WTO Studies Certificate program. (The certificate is not a diploma and it does not change the title of the degree students are pursuing at Georgetown Law.)
The WTO Studies Certificate is available to students earning a J.D. or LL.M. at the Law Center. Students earning an S.J.D. at the Law Center, and students earning graduate degrees in other related subjects at Georgetown University who are eligible to enroll in courses at the Law Center, may obtain the WTO Studies Certificate by permission of the Institute. Students must complete all of their degree requirements to receive a WTO certificate.
The requirements for the WTO Studies Certificate are:
- Successful completion of 12 credits of coursework on WTO-related subjects, selected from the list of WTO Certificate Courses (see below).
- Approval by IIEL of a research paper on a WTO law subject that you have written or will write in one of your WTO Certificate Courses.
- Participation in a minimum of four activities outside the Law Center related to international trade during your course of study (such as attending conferences, congressional, administrative or court hearings, or other similar events).
- Maintenance of an overall grade point average of "B" (3.0) or higher.
* Please note:
- Successful completion of a basic international law course, either at the Law Center or elsewhere, is a prerequisite for the WTO Studies Certificate; this qualifying course does not count toward the 12 credits required for the WTO Studies Certificate.
- Academic credit transferred from other institutions and/or graduate programs will not count toward the 12 credits required for the WTO Studies Certificate, without IIEL’s approval.
Application to the WTO Studies Certificate Program
Students who wish to pursue the WTO Studies Certificate should complete and submit the WTO Certificate Notification Form (see below) as soon as possible. For LL.M. candidates, application not later than the first day of classes in the first semester of a student's attendance at Georgetown Law is strongly encouraged. For J. D. candidates, application not later than the first day of classes in their second year for full-time students and third year for part-time students is strongly encouraged.
The completed WTO Certificate Notification Form should be emailed to email@example.com.
After submitting their WTO Certificate Notification Form, students may request an academic counseling appointment with an IIEL faculty member or senior administrator, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions Regarding the WTO Certificate Program
Interested students are invited to write to IIEL with questions about the WTO Certificate Program, at email@example.com. First, kindly read the below document, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Concerning the Certificate in WTO Studies.
To view the 2016-2017 WTO Certificate Courses, please click here.
To view the Frequently Asked Questions Concerning the Certificate in WTO Studies, please click here.
To view or fill out the WTO Certificate Notification Form, please click here.