Microsoft Office 365
The IST Department offers Microsoft Office 365, a cloud-based version of the Microsoft Office desktop suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Publisher, and Access. The IST Department is offering up to five licenses per Law Center community member. You can use these licenses on five devices or share them amongst five users.
What is the Cloud?
The cloud refers to software and services that run on the Internet instead of your computer. Any file or application that is stored on the cloud is available on any device that has an Internet connection. So, by using the cloud, your data is accessible from any device with a web browser, such as laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
By storing your data on the cloud, you don’t have to worry about backing it up, losing it, or moving it when you switch computers. Common cloud-based technologies are Gmail, Facebook and YouTube.
System Requirements to Run Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft provides a list of supported operating systems and browsers for Office 365.
The IST Department has found that the Microsoft Office Suite runs best on a computer with at least 8GB of RAM, an Intel core I3 processor and a 500 GB hard-disk drive.
How to Download Office 365
- Browse to login.microsoftonline.com.
- When the Office 365 page opens, type [yourNetID]@law.georgetown.edu in the first field.
- Do not type anything in the second (password) field.
- Click on the Sign in icon.
- You will be redirected to a login page.
- Type your NetID in the Username field, your Georgetown University password in the Password field, and click on the OK button.
- The Install Office on your PC page will open.
- Click once on the Gear icon in the upper, right-hand corner and choose the Office 365 Settings option.
- The Office 365 Settings page will open.
- Click on the Software link to download and install the software.
Note: Please be aware that you install Microsoft 365 at your own risk. The IST Department is not liable for any damage done to your personal computer as a result of the installation. If your personal computer ceases to operate after loading the software, we will not repair it.
Note 2: The Office 365 license that you download is only valid for as long as you are a member of the Georgetown Law community. Once you leave or graduate, the license will no longer function.