LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) law is a relatively new and cutting edge area of law.
Laws affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people vary greatly by country or territory—everything from legal recognition of same-sex marriage or other types of partnerships, to the death penalty as punishment for same-sex romantic/sexual activity or identity.
LGBT lawyers work to protect and advocate for LGBT rights on the local and state and federal levels. The work encompasses diverse practice areas, such as employment discrimination, family law, HIV/AIDS law, etc. LGBT lawyers frequently work in non-profit advocacy organizations where they focus on direct client representation or policy. In addition, there is a growing need for LGBT advocacy in private family law firms.
What to do if you are interested in LGBT Law?
Georgetown Law Courses
Gender and Sexuality: Law and Theory
LGBT Health Law and Policy
Sexual Orientation and the Law: Selected Topics in Civil Rights
Georgetown Law Seminars
Family Law Seminar: Children of LGBT Parents
The Past and Future of Civil Liberties Seminar
Topics in LGBT Civil Rights Seminar
Georgetown Law Clinics
Domestic Violence Clinic
Institute for Public Representation
Juvenile Justice Clinic
Helpful LGBT Law Resources
- Harvard Law: LGBT Rights — A Career Guide provides an overview of LGBT law followed by narratives and a list of organizations focused on LGBT law.
- Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- National LGBT Bar Association is a national association of lawyers, judges and other legal professionals, law students, activists, and affiliated lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender legal organizations.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force advocates on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community by training activists, organizing broad-based campaigns to defeat anti-LGBT referenda and advance pro-LGBT legislation, and generating groundbreaking research through the NGLTF Policy Institute.
- Pride Law Fund promotes the legal rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community, and people living with HIV and AIDS, by funding legal services and projects and by sponsoring education and outreach.