LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual) law is an area of law that covers a wide range of legal issues impacting the LGBTQIA+ community.
Laws affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) people vary greatly by country or territory and may include legal issues such as employment discrimination, housing rights, family law, and health law.
LGBTQIA+ lawyers work to protect and advocate for LGBTQIA+ rights on the local, state and federal levels. They may provide direct legal services advising and representing LGBQIA+ individuals in civil cases or work in policy writing legislation that advocate on behalf of LGBTQIA+ people. LGBTQIA+ lawyers frequently work in non-profit organizations or government agencies. In addition, there are opportunities to work at private law firms such as small civil rights firms or family law firms handling legal issues impacting LGBTQIA+ individuals.
What to do if you are interested in LGBTQIA+ Law?
Georgetown Law Courses
Gender and Sexuality: Law and Theory
LGBT Health Law and Policy
Sexual Orientation and the Law: Selected Topics in Civil Rights
Georgetown Law Seminars
Topics in LGBT Civil Rights Seminar
Georgetown Law Clinics
Civil Rights Clinic
Domestic Violence Clinic
Helpful LGBT Law Resources
- Harvard Law: LGBT Rights — A Career Guide provides an overview of LGBT law followed by narratives and a list of organizations focused on LGBT law.
- Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- National LGBT Bar Association is a national association of lawyers, judges and other legal professionals, law students, activists, and affiliated lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender legal organizations.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force advocates on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community by training activists, organizing broad-based campaigns to defeat anti-LGBT referenda and advance pro-LGBT legislation, and generating groundbreaking research through the NGLTF Policy Institute.
- Pride Law Fund promotes the legal rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community, and people living with HIV and AIDS, by funding legal services and projects and by sponsoring education and outreach.